Monday, October 02, 2006

Bugz in the Attic

On the 25th of September I was walking home when I passed my usual haunt The Lord Roberts. Through the window I saw a friend and popped in to say hi. I was the last day of being in my 20s as I turned 30 the following day and was not yet ready to go home. We chatted for a while and he asked me if I wanted to go to a live gig with him which he would be reviewing for a local newspaper. I can’t remember the last live music I heard and as the night was still young I agreed to be his plus one on the guest list.

The venue was a typical student place, very dark, not much furniture and beer served in plastic glasses ! I had been there a few times in the past and little had changed. Cans of Red Stripe were aplenty as was the smell of cannabis. I was told that the band was a mix of soul, funk and jazz – not my favourite combination of music but I was looking forward to in none the less. And then the band came on …

Lead Singer (Female) – Amazing voice and great stage presence. Needed a stronger bra though as she kept threatening to pop out of it during the performance which could have caused huge damage to the front row of the audience.

Lead Singer (Male) – Boiler suit and VW badge. Good voice and did well at getting the crowd going.

Keyboards (Male) – Another boiler suit and looked like a doorman I used to work with. Played well and loads of enthusiasm.

Keyboards (Female) – Thought she was a drum stick to start off with. Needed a few good meals. Also sang and had a very soulful voice.

Drummer (Male) – Very fit man and the live drumming added a great spark to the sound of the group.

Keyboard (Male) – Didn’t see much of him throughout the gig. May have been shy or just stood behind the lead singer.

DJ (Male) – The easiest job of the whole evening and whole group. Another boiler suit and big afro. Did not see him actually mixing any records. Occasionally played some small percussion instruments and set of a siren that indicated the end of one song and the start of the next.

Despite the varied mix of the band members they complemented each other well and their music was great. A little slow to get started but by track four they were in full swing. A blend of Band New Heavies meets Basement Jaxx and whilst these may not be my favourite bands I couldn’t help but dance and sway to the infectious beats. A top night and a brilliant way to say goodbye to my 20s and hello to my 30s.

This week I am off to see Journey South ! God help me !

1 Comments:

Blogger lufra said...

i want to put some images on my blog, on the right side, but i'm not able...can u help me please?
(sorry for my english!!!)
:)

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home