Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The odd things we talk about.

You quite often find yourself talking about odd things when you are in the pub, especially after a few pints and last night we got onto the subject of Sociopaths and Sociopathic tendencies. An odd subject I know but it some how cropped up in the conversation and a good discussion followed.

After many attempts to come up with an accurate definition (and failing) we decided that all of us around the table had exhibited some Sociopathic tendencies during our life. Still intrigued by the subject I Googled it today and found a list of defining characteristics.

not learning from experience
no sense of responsibility
inability to form meaningful relationships
inability to control impulses
lack of moral sense
chronically antisocial behaviour
no change in behaviour after punishment
emotional immaturity
lack of guilt
self-centeredness

I know that I have suffered from many of the things on this list at one time or another, but does that mean the I am a Sociopath ? I hope not ! I guess it just shows that we all have the potential to be a little mad from time to time

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi - Found my way here from the Reluctant Nomad's blog. Interesting list - makes me really wonder what 'normal' is. Nice read, will be back.

4:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, I'm not so much of a sociopath as I thought; will have to investigate some alternative mental stigmatism to adhere to.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home