Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Locked in and lucked out.

I have not had much luck with the houses that I have lived in over my years in Nottingham or rather I have not had mush luck with the keys to the houses I have lived in. I have had to break into or call a locksmith to each and every premises at least twice. My current house is some what better as I have only had problems once. That was all to change on Friday 27th and Saturday 28th November when I would not only be locked out but also locked in !

Craig had come down to visit and we had headed off into town to meet friends at around 9.30pm. As we left the house Craig reminded me to double lock the front door – something I never normally do. I did it and thought nothing more of it. We headed home around 1.30am much the worse for wear. On reaching the front door I went fro my keys only to find they were not in my pocket. I searched frantically but to no avail, I had lost them. Craig was less than happy, it was late, we were both drunk and it was very cold. What the hell do we do now ?

Call the landlord ? It was 1.30am !!!
Call the neighbours ? It was 1.30am !!!
Call the friend we had gone out with to stay at theirs ? He had pulled !!!

There was only on thing to do, I would climb the large pointy gate that would allow me to get to the back gardens. Maybe I could break in through the back door. Jumping onto a bin with all the grace I could muster in my condition I scaled the dangerous looking gate and headed round to the back door. To my amazement (and later shock) it was unlocked ! I let myself in and rushed to the front door to let Craig in. Shit – I had double locked it and there was no spare key in the house and my housemate wouldn’t be home until Sunday evening. I rushed back to the gate.

Alan “You will have to climb over the gate, the back door is open.”
Craig “I bloody wont be climbing over the gate.”
Alan “You have to.”
Craig “I wont.”

This went on for some time and eventually he agreed and clambered over. We got into the house, had a drink and went to bed. All would be OK in the morning. I would go to one of my neighbours and ask to borrow their gate key and we could come and go as we please until my house mate returned and new keys could be cut.

My master plan had one fault – the only neighbour who was in on Saturday morning did not have a gate key ! However, she did let me out through her house so I could go to the shops. I stacked up on the essentials, fags, beer and food. Craig was slightly annoyed as I forgot wine and chocolate but I was already weighed down with five bags of shopping. We spent the whole of Saturday in the house. This is something we would normally do but as we couldn’t leave we wanted to more and more as the day went on. I think at one point cabin fever started to set in. On Sunday things finally went our way – a neighbour was in whom had a gate key. We let ourselves out, rushed into town and spent the afternoon in a pub. My housemate returned on the evening and on Monday we were able to get some keys cut.

Eventful but I really could do without that sort of thing now. I have to be more careful with my keys.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

less than happy...i was well pissed off....but reading it i can look back and smile now...but yes be careful with keys.....me

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home